In my many years of experience, I have observed that many sales professionals dread picking up the phone to make that call. Especially so, if it is a cold call.
Calling random strangers who were not expecting to speak with you can be emotionally demanding. It can bring out the worst in people. Guilty as charged. Sometimes I am in the midst of a meeting when that cold call happens and I forget what it is like to be on the other end.
So what now? Should we not cold call at all? Certainly not. Note that they are not rejecting you; they are simply reacting to the situation so just let it slip and get onto the next name on the list. I genuinely believe that cold calling has an effective way to turn leads into potential prospects.
Here are some tips that will help you at cold calling:
- Have a mirror on your table – Smile. When you smile, you sound better. The receiving party can hear you and as the good old saying goes, “what you give is what you receive” Make a friend, make a sale and in this instance, the sale is being able to be put through to the decision maker.
- Motion creates emotion – Walk around if need be. Get a headset or a cordless if it helps. Nobody wants to talk to a deadpan, not especially on the phone by an unexpected caller.
- Cold calling is best done in the morning, say 10AM. An hour given for people to settle in. Impeccable time to reach the decision maker directly.
- Be prepared – Prepare a script. Have a note pad and a pen of course to make notes. Make sure you have everything you need before you start work.
- Keep careful records – Create a template that works for you to keep tabs on who you have called, when is the next call back with notes on how the last call went and how many have been converted to appointments. Being able to track conversion rates, will give allow you to pat your own back.
I hope this will help you in your next cold call session. Ouh, don’t forget to keep it simple on the phone. Don’t sell your products or services on the phone. It will kill all chance of a meeting. Happy calling!!